Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chia seeds

You saw in my previous post about the Mango smoothie that it had little black dots in it. Well those dots are chia seeds. Yes, this is similar to, or really the actual seeds, of those little plant pets which were so popular a few years back. Now, how do you think I came upon this? Well again my fellow co-worker informed me of theses little seeds back in the bleak winter. They are suppose to be the Superfood of all Superfoods. You typically put them in yogurt or oatmeal. They can also be added to baked goods for an added boost.

I decided to try them after searching the web a bit. It was one of my wedding, get-healthy plan. I am not going to lie. I think they are a bit freaky. When set in liquidity material, IE the yogurt for about 5 minutes they get gelatin-like. This makes them perfect for smoothies. In my initial research I read that you can simply add them to water and drink. This was how I first tried the chia seeds. I would not recommend this method. First, it kind of smelled fishy. Second, the texture was just too thick for me while knowing I was just having water.

All in all I try to have about a tablespoon a day, normally at breakfast time in my yogurt, cereal, or oatmeal. Whether it works or not, I cannot be sure but it does make me feel better knowing I am getting extra antioxidants everyday. The one downfall is that they are somewhat hard to find. You must go to a specialty health food store or Whole foods.

To learn more about the Chia seed, just google. There are vast amounts of websites and information dedicated to the Chia seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...