Monday, January 3, 2011

Gourmet meal in minutes: Short ribs


Growing up we always had one last holiday celebration with a big meal on New Year's day.  Normally my mom would make another turkey meal, or big ham, or roast beef.  It was always delicious.

I wanted to continue the tradition with Jordan so I decided to make something special. I am not a big roast person.  I had to come up with something else.  I had seen a slow cooker recipe for short ribs some time back in an Everyday Food magazine.  I have wanted to make short ribs for a long time; it is one of my favorite get in a restaurant meals since I don't make them at home.  Anything red meat is a winner with Jordan so off I went to find  me some short ribs. 

Slow Cooker Short Ribs Ragu
From Everyday Foods

Ingredients:
2 tsp veggie oil
3 lbs boneless short ribs ( I used bone in)
course salt and ground pepper
1 medium onion, diced small
1 large carrot, diced small
1 can whole peeled tomatoes (28 oz)
2 springs oregano or rosemary

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over med-high heat.  Season short ribs with salt and pepper.  In batches, cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.


2. Transfer ribs to 6-quart slow cooker.  Pour off all but 1 tsp of fat from skillet and add onions and carrot.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 c of juice from canned tomatoes.  Scrap down pans of all browned bits and transfer to slow cooker.
4. Add tomatoes, breaking them up as you put into slow cooker.  Add herbs.

5. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours. Meat should be fork tender.

6. Remove all bones from slow cooker.  Take out meat pieces and shred meat.


7. Serve immediately or let cool in liquid and reheat on medium heat before serving. 

Serve this over toasted bread, pasta, or polenta.  It will keep tightly covered in the refrigeratoror for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.  I originally planned to have it over some whole wheat egg noodles.  However, about 30 minutes before dinner I started crazing good bread.  Jordan immediately concurred with this thought the second I brought it up and off we went to store to find a baguette. 

Served with a Caesar salad and a good bottle of wine and I would say we had the perfect New Year's day special meal.  The great part was that it was super easy since it was slow cooker made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...