Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers


The sight of this on my counter makes me so happy sometimes.  When I see it sitting there all lonely I know that I will be eating a warm, hopefully yummy dinner.   It will involve little effort and a small amount of dishes.  Could you really ask for anything more?

Each week I try to find at least one crock pot dish to make mid-week.  Mid-week because around Wednesday or Thursday I am starting to get tired.  Also because these meals always have leftovers involved so a lunch is waiting the next day as well.  It is a wonderful thing.

This week I started drooling when I saw this recipe in my weekly email box from Real Simple.

Slow Cooker Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers
From Real Simple
Serves 4
Hands-on Time: 10m
Total Time: 4hr 30m

Ingredients

1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds

1 cup long-grain white rice  (we served ours on tortillas)
1 avocado, sliced (they are so expensive right now, and I couldn't find a good one)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (yuck, I don't like cilantro)

Directions:
1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.




2. Using two forks shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.

It was good and we have enough for a whole other meal.  The flavor is good but could use a bit more spice if you like things hot.  The recipe definitely moved to the "keeper" file.  I love that you could have this with rice, tortillas, chips and even over salad. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I am here from leaving a comment on All day I dream about food - I saw your comment on Banana bread and was tempted to let you know that that is exactly what i blogged today (my eggless version) and I hope you will visit my blog and if you like it well enough become a follower :)
    cheers,
    Priya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one love slow cookers. It is so easy and convenient. Low and slow is always good for meat! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow cooked Cuban braised beef, sign me up! Great recipe! Looks absolutely divine! Thanks for sharing! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that same slow cooker! :) Fantastic use, this dish looks so full of flavor

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I love slow cooker dishes that don't start by browning the meat on the stove. Who has time for that before work?

    Thanks for the recipe! theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum...what a wonderful dinner item. Great flavor. With a shake or two of red pepper the hubby and I would be in heaven. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy! I love cooking in my slow cooker and this would be perfect :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...