Tuesday, July 3, 2012

New England Clam Bake Dinner



We love seafood.  Lobster, fish, raw oysters.  It it was aquatic at one point in its life chances are Mr. J and I will love it. 

In fact as much as Mr. J is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, I wonder in fact his true food passion is seafood.  He goes nuts over the fisherman's patters.  Nuts!


We went to Joe's Crab Shack once.  It was one of those places that we saw commercials for all of the time but the closest one was hours away. It is mean and taunting have that flash in your face.  We waited years to try it out.  Then there was a vacation when one was spotted and of course we had to stop.  I thought it was disgusting. I didn't enjoy it.  Never again.


I tried to forget about that experience.  It didn't dispel my love of seafood though...just of chain restaurants.  I saw this recipe recently and knew we had to have it. A massive clam pot filled with potatoes, corn, shrimp, mussels, and of course clams.

What I loved was that it was a simple throw it into one pot and be done recipe.  Totally delicious.  You use white wine which I forgot to pick up.  I sent Mr. J to the liquor store literally across the road to grab some cheap dry white wine.  It was for cooking but we ended up finishing off the bottle.  Five dollars.  Good times.

Serve with garlic bread. Who needs Joe's Crab Shack?  Not us.


Summer Clam Pot

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes



Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
  • 4 ears of corn, cut into thirds
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, halved
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
  • 1 pound little neck clams
  • 1 pound raw shrimp
  • 1 large lemon, quartered
Instructions
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over high heat. Add sliced onion and cook until it starts to brown, stirring frequently, 6 to 8 minutes.

Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add potatoes, corn, wine, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are just barely tender, about 20 minutes.

Add mussels, shrimp and clams, toss to combine, cover pot and cook, shaking pot occasionally, until clams and mussels have opened, 12 to 15 minutes more. Discard any mussels or clams with unopened shells.

Transfer onions, potatoes, sausage and seafood to serving bowls with the cooking liquid. Serve with lemon quarters.

Powered by Recipage

7 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than a pot of flavourful shellfish. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily... I'm sorry... oysters freak me out! I've never tried them... I know I haven't given them a proper chance but I don't know if I've got it in me.. I'd be all over that shrimp though! I LOVE shrimp! Sounds like a fun meal to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't live anywhere near New England, but we get much of the same type of shellfish here. This looks perfect--it reminds me of the crawfish boils I used to go to in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning clambake ewhich I appreciate despite my no-fish poslicy :D
    This sounds and loooks gorgeous!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great meal! With food like this, I am proud to be a New Englander! :)
    -Elyse @The Cultural Dish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way, WAY better than Joe's! I wish my husband liked molluscs because we live in New England and I would love to throw together a meal like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh I've always wanted to go to a clam bake! What a fun dinner idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...