Thursday, September 27, 2012

Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts



When Mr. J got me a doughnut pan for my birthday I was super excited. Now I think he had his on motivation behind the gift.




Not long after my birthday he started asking when I was going to use it.  Being so busy with work there wasn't too much time to really sit and actually make the doughnuts till the other  day.




Since the other day was officially Fall. Apple cider was in the air.  Apple Cider doughnuts seemed like the perfect fit.


Clearly I was a little excited when filling the pan. 
When filling the pan be sure to under fill each area. I am talking about maybe, maybe 1/2 full.  They rise quite a bit. I filled the first batch flat to the top and the doughnut centers disappeared.




Topped with cinnamon and sugar.  Oh man were these absolutely delicious.  I am pretty happy with my birthday gift, but I am pretty sure Mr. J is too.




Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts

by Peas and Thank You
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast apple fall




Ingredients (12 doughnuts)
  • 1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup apple cider
  • 1/4 cup organic sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp molasses
  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • cinnamon and sugar for dusting
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.

In a measuring cup or smaller bowl, mix together apple cider, sugars, molasses, applesauce, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.

Add cider mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Spoon batter into a greased doughnut pan (or muffin tin).

Bake for 11-13 minutes, until donuts are slightly browned and firm.

Dust with cinnamon and sugar while still warm, if desired.

Note: since these doughnuts are not fried, there will not be grease for the cinnamon and sugar to adhere to. If you really want the cinnamon/sugar to stick heavily, consider brushing the donuts with a big more melted margarine or coconut oil. But the doughnuts have enough flavor and sweetness with just a light dusting.
Powered by Recipage

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I can just imagine the heavenly aroma! Whenever Brian buys me a "gift" of a kitchen gadget I know that means he wants me to use it to make him something tasty with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No better way to welcome Autumn in than Apple Cider Doughnuts! I love my donut pan too it's so much fun, and at college it's too much of a drive to north Jersey for the cider donuts on the farms. I guess I'll just have to follow your example and make some of these in my kitchen! :D yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah men :)) so romantic! When I get something for my kitchen I'm always like "awww, he still likes my cooking". I feel like I'm missing out on the whole kitchen gadget thing, I didn't even know that there is something like pan for doughnuts! I must be ancient, I thought you can only fry them... I must learn a lot :)
    Im glad to see you still posting,
    Sending loads of smiles
    Little Housewife

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! they look so perfect and love that you used wholewheat flour and great ingredients :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm....I love these guilt free donuts (well less guilty donuts!). Great flavor for fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh YES! I just recently bought a doughnut pan myself... I am so making these. :) Have a wonderful weekend. ~ Ramona

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...