Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Baked Chocolate Doughnuts for your Sweetheart


Give me any excuse to celebrate and I will take it.  Valentine's Day is always fun. I think it has something to do with the pink. And hearts.  Yes, I am a girl.  I had high hopes for this year and Valentine's Day treats.  Storm Nemo put me out of commission though.  In all the hustle and bustle of storm preparations I forgot to get pink sprinkles. 


I am not too upset.  These doughnut ended up being fantastic and were completely gone in less than 24 hours. I blame the snow shoveling.  Mr. J had 3 in one day.  Ops!


These are not the healthiest of breakfast treats but they aren't so bad either. Baked not fried.  They have plain yogurt. You can be happy to serve these to your sweetheart for Valentine's Day.



Baked Chocolate Doughnuts with Chocolate Coconut Glaze

by Emily Morris, Adapted from Shutterbean
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast chocolate
Ingredients (serves 6)
For the Doughnut
  • 1 cup all- purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze
  • 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (62% or higher)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp coconut milk (may need a bit more)
Instructions

For the Doughnut
Heat oven to 325 F.

Coat doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, sugar, egg, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until blended and bumps are worked out.

Spoon batter into a doughnut pan about 2/3 full. Bake for 13 minutes, until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on rack for a few minutes, then carefully remove onto rack to cool.

For the Glaze
In a small bowl, melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave stirring frequently. When almost smooth, combine confectioners’ sugar and coconut milk and stir until consistency is thick.

If the consistency is too thin, add more sugar. If too thick add a bit more milk.

Leaving doughnuts on rack, top cooled doughnuts with glaze and allow excess frosting to drip off. Top with sprinkles immediately and serve.
Powered by Recipage

5 comments:

  1. mmm I'll have to try to make this with a flax egg!

    Sarah
    anythingbetween

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still look mighty festive with the multi-colored sprinkles :) No one at my house would complain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...that glaze is calling to me. And, I have a doughnut pan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids would adore these chocolate doughnuts... me too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...