Monday, April 1, 2013

Citrus Fennel Salad


Do you eat too much celebrating Easter?  Mr. J's parents were in town for the weekend. We were pretty good but had an amazing (amazingly large) brunch Sunday.


In case you need a bit of a cleanse from the weekend, here is a great, light salad to enjoy.  

I haven't used fennel too much in my life time. I cannot say I am a huge fan but it went well with the pears and citrus in this salad. 




It is quick and easy to put together and goes with just about every meal. 



Note: These pictures are from the second time making this salad. We ran out of the red onion suggested in the recipe below so I just used a regular Spanish onion. The taste was the same but the salad is much more visually appealing with the red onion.


Citrus Fennel Salad

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: raw salad pear fennel orange
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the salad
  • 1 pear
  • 1/2 fennel bulb
  • 3 Tbsp red onion
  • 1 orange
For the dressing
  • 1 orange
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
Cut pear and fennel in half and slice thinly, discarding the center of the pear where the seeds are. Chop the red onion, peel 1 orange and cut into wedges.

In a bowl juice the other orange, remove seeds if any from liquid. Add honey, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk together.

Toss in the pear, fennel, and orange slices to the dressing bowl.

Serve and top with red onion pieces.
Powered by Recipage

3 comments:

  1. I've scared the hubby off of fennel for life, but I can make this wonderful salad for me alone :) What a yummy combo of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I love this refreshing salad :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried fennel... this salad makes me want to run out and buy some. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...