Thursday, April 4, 2013

What I am reading right now...

 

This book is nothing like the Harry Potter series. I read the first half of this book about a month ago (it was a short release book from the library and I wasn't able to finish it before needing to take it back). Only recently was I able to get my hands on it again to finish it off. 

Set in the small English village of Pagford, a local council man dies unexpectedly. They need to fill his seat.  As they go through the election process you learn about the history of the town, its people, and the petty politics. 

Everyone in the novel has demons. They haunt each of the characters individually, they haunt the families and they haunt each other. The children are as bad as the parents. Drugs, sex, and lies are all at the heart of this book.

The Casual Vacancy will not leave you feeling good. Society morals are questioned. I think it can be compared to works such as Lord of the Flies and 1984. There is a lesson to be learned from this book but it is not a happy book. A truly disturbing character study of cruelty and the pain it causes.

I feel like the books I have posted about lately are all kind of downers. Hopefully my next pick will be a bit more bright.

What "happy" books have your read lately?


1 comment:

  1. I never read the Harry Potter books.. but this one sounds very intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...