Thursday, July 25, 2013

BC BBQ Sauce and Ribs {Pass the Cookbook}


It's that time of the month for Pass the Cook Book.  Each month Kita from Pass the Sushi picks a cookbook from her shelf that hasn't been used in a while.  We then pick one of three recipes to make. This month was pretty busy for Kita but she arrange for someone else to pull from their cookbook library.  The more the merrier, right?

July's cookbook pick was Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust.  I have all of the other cookbooks, which I love, but not this one. Thus I was super excited to see what I was missing.  After trying two of the three recipes options, I might just go out and get it.



I had a really hard time picking between the BBQ ribs, blondies and gazpacho.  It was so hot the cold gazpacho really had me thinking. Blondies, of course, is dessert with chocolate. Yes, yes, and yes.  To please the Mr. J, though I made the ribs. He was so happy for the ribs.



The recipe made a ton of sauce.  The flavors were a bit more spicy then I typically have in my BBQ but we really enjoyed the depth of spice.  The meat of the rib literally fell off the bones. I ended up eating the meat with a fork doused in sauce.




Because I couldn't resist the Blondies, I made a version earlier this week. I highly recommend these bars. I recommend the ribs too. Basically I love Ina and all of her recipes. I guess I am going to get the cook book now.

If you want to become a part of the cook book club read this post and click for the facebook group. Come join us in the fun!


BC BBQ sauce

by Ina Garten
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: canning sauce summer
Ingredients (4 cups)
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
  • 1 Tbs. minced garlic (3 cloves)
  • 1 cup (10 oz.) tomato paste
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup honey
  • ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup Dijon mustard
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • 1 cup hoisin sauce
  • 2 Tbs. chili powder
  • 1 Tbs. ground cumin
  • 1 ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Instructions
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add the onions, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned.

Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.

Add the tomato paste, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire, mustard, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes.

Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Use the sauce immediately or pour into a container and refrigerate.
Powered by Recipage


14 comments:

  1. This is my first Ina book, and after trying this recipe, I'm going to have to get her others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the ribs too - but used lamb and added orange marmalade to my sauce. It wasto die for, wasn't it!? Looking forward to next month's adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of Ina's recipes...and this looks like another winner!!! Bill loves ribs and I can't believe I haven't tried these yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously craving some ribs after seeing all of these posts! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about making the bars in addition to the ribs as well, for dessert after the already wonderful meal. I held off but might have to make them for another day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those ribs look so delicious. My meat loving family loves ribs, so this is a recipe I am going to have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the ribs too - they were seriously so good weren't they?! I have the blondies on my to-do list for the weekend. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is looks delicious. But wonder if I can do so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the same as you, of course the dessert is a no brainer made those but I really did the ribs for my hubby and he was happy, he loved them. Your right the sauce is a bit spicier than I usually prefer but the spice flavor was good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking the same thing, I need to go get this cook book... Then I was all bummed cuz the whole point of the club was to use the books I have and not spend more $$. LOL. Win some, lose some. I need to make me this sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the 2nd set of ribs I've seen from your group.. and I'm simply salivating. I love these. I adore how saucy your ribs are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sauce looks great! Perfect for a summer BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that looks good! I've made a bunch of Ina Garten's recipes and she hasn't steered me wrong yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...