Thursday, November 14, 2013

What I am reading lately...

The Engagements



I try to switch my reading up between books that are just for fun and books require a bit more thought.  The Engagements was more of a fun book but it actually got into the history of diamonds and the tradition of engagement rings. 

I found out about this book because the author, J. Courtney Sullivan, wrote Maine. I also totally judge a book by the cover and this one just looks good. 

The Engagements is comprised of multiple stories that follow engagements or more specifically marriages - the long, short, and passionate ones.  The stories are traced by the engagement rings and the sentiments behind the rings.  In the midst of these stories is the tale of Frances Gerety, a young advertising copywriter in 1947 who lands the De Beers campaign.  This true story is how the line "a diamond is forever" was created and the tradition of the engagement ring in America. 

The story reads similar to the movie Love Actually, the stories intertwine but are separated throughout the book.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect airplane book! And I also will buy a book based on the cover :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...