Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Dilly Cheese Bread


There is such comfort in homemade bread. I feel so centered making the dough, the smell soothes me, and eating a slice warm out of the oven is one of the best feelings in the world.



We have a basic white bread recipe and this honey oatmeal on regular rotation but sometimes even a good thing can get old.  I was looking to expand our bread repertoire recently and thought of my bakery days.  There were two breads I enjoyed back then, Dilly Cheese and Cheddar Mustard, and I thought I would try a hand at making them at home.  Dilly cheese was first up.



I did some research online and found a few recipes that seems similar to what I remembered making back at the bakery. 

Full disclosure: I kind of hate Dill.  It is not my favorite herb and I try to avoid it in most foods I eat.  This bread however is super good. And although there is dill and you can taste it, I am not deterred. 



The recipe makes two loaves which can also be divided into rolls. We can finish off half a loaf on day one but the rest tends to take us more time to finish. I froze the second loaf for another day. 


Dilly Cheese Bread

by Emily Morris
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus rise time
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Keywords: bake bread
Ingredients (2 loaves)
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • ½ cup warm water plus a pinch of sugar
  • 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 2 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 2 TBSP raw or granulated sugar
  • 6 TBSP dried minced onion
  • 1 TBSP dried dill seed
  • 1 tsp dried dill weed
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
Instructions
Gently stir the yeast into the warm water with the pinch of sugar in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until the yeast is frothy. While that rests, whisk together the cottage cheese, milk, oil, sugar, minced onion, dill seed and weed, salt and eggs in a saucepan over low heat just until lukewarm.

Add that to the yeast mixture and stir. Add the flour all at once and use a sturdy spoon to mix until there are no dry pockets of flour and everything is evenly moist.

Cover with a­ towel and let rise in a warm place for about an hour and a half, or until almost doubled in size.

Grease 2 standard loaf pans (9X5) but the dough can also be divided among ramekins or muffin tins for rolls. Divide dough evenly into 2 pieces and place in greased pans.
Cover the loaf pans with a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the risen dough for 30-­40 minutes for loaves or 25-­30 minutes for rolls.

Remove from the oven and let the loaves rest in the pans for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Store loaves wrapped in a clean towel at room temperature for up to three days, or wrap cooled loaves in a double layer of plastic wrap and freeze for up to three months.
Powered by Recipage

1 comment:

  1. I remember a dilled cheese bread from my college days---like you, I'm not a huge dill fan, but it was soooo good! I bet yours is just as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...